Join us on a Summit Club member exclusive trek through Nepal’s Everest Region. Nepal was devastated by a series of earthquakes in 2015. This trek is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience one of the world's most amazing tourist destinations, and make a difference by helping to rebuild through trade, not aid.
Led by Jackson Bursill, Youth Ambassador for the Australian Himalayan Foundation
Jackson joined the Australian Himalayan Foundation as Youth Ambassador following his work establishing Neverest, a fundraising event for the AHF in which participants, either solo or in teams; hike or bike ride the equivalent vertical height of Mount Everest by doing many laps on the same hill! The event, which started in Canberra, was organised in response to the devastating earthquakes which shook Nepal in 2015.
In 2016, Neverest expanded to include events in both Canberra and Melbourne and focussed on providing longer term support to the AHFs teacher training and quality education program. After raising over $80,000 in 2 years, Neverest is set to expand again in 2017 to include an event in Sydney with the fundraising again, going towards improving access to quality education for Nepalese students. Jackson was also a member of the Australian Cross Country Ski team, representing Australia at the FIS Nordic Ski World Championships in Sweden in 2015.
Jackson's enthusiasm for the people, place and culture of the Himalaya is contagious. He looks forward to sharing his enthusiasm and knowledge of the AHF with you on the trail.
Our itinerary will include
- Sightseeing in Kathmandu
- Visiting the famous Hindu temples at Pashupatinath and Buddha stupa Boudhanath.
- Trek to some of Nepal's most remote villages in the Solu Khumbu district.
- Visiting several villages and schools supported by the Australian Himalaya Foundation.
- Spending two nights in the renowned Sherpa village of Namche Bazaar.
- Enjoying sublime views of Everest and Ama Dablam from the town of Tengboche.
- Participating in morning prayers at Tengboche Monastery.
- Visiting the Khumjung School and the Khunde Hospital, which are two of Sir Edmund Hillary's original development projects.
We encourage you to fundraise a minimum of $1000AUD for the Australian Himalayan Foundation (AHF) to help with their work in Nepal. The AHF is a leading aid organisation, dedicated to helping Himalayan communities improve education, health and medical service provision, in addition to environmental and wildlife conservation.
World Expeditions is our responsible travel trip operator. All treks are led by an experienced local leader accompanied by a knowledgeable crew. Trek leadership teams are highly trained in remote first-aid, and share a passion for the region in which they work.
The Nepal trek itinerary runs from April 13 2017 to April 25 2017. Download the trip notes.
Nepal Trek 2017
Can't make April? Join our October trek, find out more online at World Expeditions.
- $250 Kathmandu gear voucher.
- 12 breakfasts, 9 lunches and 9 dinners.
- Hotel accommodation at the Radisson Hotel in Kathmandu on a twin share basis with breakfast for the nights listed in the trip itinerary.
- Volunteer for an afternoon at an AHF school - hands-on work could include helping with the rebuild or reading to the children.
- Fully supported trek including Eco Lodges and Wilderness Camps.
- 1/2 day sightseeing in Kathmandu, including site fees.
- English-speaking, first-aid trained local leader.
- Welcome drinks in Kathmandu.
- All internal transport by private bus, jeep or car including airport transfers.
- Internal flights from Kathmandu to Phaplu, and Lukla to Kathmandu.
- Loan of a sleeping bag, sleeping mat & trek kit bag for the duration of the trek.
- All trekking staff including cooks, kitchen staff, Sherpas and Sirdar.
- All park entrance fees and trekking permits.
- Emergency medical kit.
- Porters to carry all personal and group equipment & Porter’s insurance.
- Pre-departure Information Guide, with all you need to know for your trek.
What’s not included
- A minimum donation of $1000AUD payable to the Australian Himalayan Foundation. AHF should be contacted to organise your online fundraising platform and issue your permission to fundraise. This trek is registered through GoFundraise, and online payments can be made at www.gofundraise.com.au.
- International flights. These can be booked by World Expeditions.
- Meals not included in the itinerary.
- Bottled water, aerated, or alcoholic drinks.
- Items of a personal nature such as phone calls, laundry, etc.
We strongly recommend you purchase quality travel insurance for this trek. Our partners at World Nomads offer a competitive rates on insurance cover for this itinerary and much more.