Bhutan - The Last Shangri-La
Join us on an unforgettable adventure through the Kingdom of Bhutan to raise funds for the Australian Himalayan Foundation (AHF). Imagine a kingdom where happiness is paramount, where culture and tradition remain intact and where Buddhism has predominated since the 7th century. This country is Bhutan, the ‘Land of the Thunder Dragon’ and this is an invitation to step inside a mystical kingdom floating high amongst the clouds in the Himalayas, a place often romantically referred to as the Last Shangri‑la.
This tour takes you on a magical journey across the country from east to west. We will journey alongside the rushing rivers that snake through the valleys of Paro, Thimphu and Wangdi with time to explore the local villages and mingle with the people that live there. Discover fertile rice paddies, verdant valleys, lush forests, magnificent mountains and pristine rivers that comprise this magical land.
We encourage you to fundraise a minimum of $1000AUD for the Australian Himalayan Foundation (AHF) to help with their work in the Himalaya. In Bhutan, the AHF supports the work of RENEW, a grass roots, not for profit organization established by Ashi Sangay Choden Wangchuck, Queen Mother, in 2004 and dedicated to the development of women and children in Bhutan. Through this partnership, AHF supports the education of girls in remote, disadvantaged communities in Bhutan who regularly walk more than 3 hours a day to reach the closest school, often without breakfast. On your trek you will meet the AHF educational scholarship students who directly benefit from the funds and awareness you raise.
World Expeditions is our responsible travel trip operator. All treks are led by an experienced local leader accompanied by a knowledgeable crew. Trek leadership teams are highly trained in remote first-aid, and share a passion for the region in which they work.
The 2017 Bhutan Summit Club Trek takes place from 5 November to 12 November. Download the trip notes.
Bhutan Trek 2017
- 5 November – Meet in Paro
- 6 November – Travel to Thimphu
- 7 November– Morning AHF project visit, optional afternoon walk in the Thimphu valley
- 8 November – Travel to Punakha
- 9 November – Day walk Punakha valley
- 10 November – Travel to Paro
- 11 November – Paro valley, takstang monastery (3100M)
- 12 November – Depart Bhutan
The trip price is $3220, based on twin share. There is an optional single supplement of $610. In addition, we ask you to raise a minimum charity donation of $1000.
- $250 Kathmandu gear voucher
- 8 breakfasts, 8 lunches, 8 dinners
- Airport transfers
- Expert bilingual guide
- Group Medical Kit
- Private transportation
- All group camping equipment
- All park entrance fees and permits
- sightseeing and site entry fees as listed in trip notes
What's not included
- A minimum donation of $1000 payable to the Australian Himalayan Foundation (AHF).
- International flights
- Bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic drinks
- Items of a personal nature, such as phone calls and laundry
- Travel insurance
- Airport & departure taxes
- Bhutan Visa